About Quizzes

Idaho Falls Temple

The Idaho Falls Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is located on the Snake River. The land was donated by the Idaho Falls Chamber of Commerce. The Temple was completed in 1945. As early as 1918, building plans had been discussed. In March 1937, it was announced that a temple was slated to be built in Idaho. The cornerstone for the Idaho Falls Temple was laid on October 19, 1940. World War II slowed down construction work on meeting houses and also the Idaho Falls Temple, due to a shortage of workers and building materials. On September 23, 1945, the temple was dedicated by George Albert Smith, who was president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at the time. The temple is not open to the general public, but the visitor's center located directly in front of the temple is open to all visitors. At the Idaho Falls LDS Temple Visitors' Center, special exhibits, video presentations, artwork, and guided tours of the grounds are available to the public free of charge. The inspired, one-towered white temple on the banks of the Snake River was faced on the outside walls with white cast stone designed to sparkle with light. A statue of the Angel Moroni was placed on top of the Temple in 1983. This "Temple by the River" is truly a place of beauty and serenity.