North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University is one of the constituent universities within the University of North Carolina system. Located in Greensboro, North Carolina, this historically black university offers doctoral, research-intensive programs in agriculture, environmental science, arts, sciences, business, economics, education, engineering, and technology. The history of the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University begins in 1891 as a land-grant institution providing education and training for black students. Temporarily located in Raleigh,North Carolina, the name of the institution at that time was Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes. In 1893, it moved to its present location in the city of Greensboro. After the school’s relocation, the first baccalaureate degrees were awarded in 1896. Again in 1915, it was renamed the Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina. The University’s master's program began in 1939. The present name was adopted in 1967 and NCAT was elevated to the status of a regional university in 1967 and merged into the University of North Carolina in 1972. Their Doctoral programs were introduced in 1993. Today, the University is a comprehensive institution of higher education with an integrated faculty and student body. More than 11,000 students from across the United States and 33 foreign countries are enrolled in its various programs.